This dish sounded like the perfect light summer dinner for those days that are just too hot to eat anything too filling. We are huge fans of stuffed zucchini, and the addition of fresh corn, spicy chilies and creamy vegan cheese adds a sumptuous, robust flavor to this light vegetable. If you want to go really light and leave out the vegan cheese, it will not detract from this dish one bit! You will still experience a savory medley of this seasons gorgeous produce!
Vegan, Gluten-free Zucchini Filled with Corn, Chilies and Cheese
|Don't you just hate it when you are looking for a recipe, and you have to scroll through dozens of pages before you get to the recipe way down at the bottom of the page?
That's because they are trying to make money off you and Google requires it. We don't care - we're here to share recipes with you, and will never make you scroll through several pages only to get to what you want - the recipe. That said, it does cost us money to run the site, so if you like something you found here, please consider donating to support The Happy Gluten Free Vegan!
Yield: serves 4 to 6
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- Sea salt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, leaving the ends on. Scoop out the centers of the zucchini, leaving about a 1/4-inch shell. Save the chopped flesh to add to the filling. Mix the garlic and olive oil and brush the inside of the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt, place on a baking sheet cut side down, and bake until just tender, about 20 minutes. The zucchini will finish cooking after they’re filled.
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1/2 medium-sized red onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- Sea salt and cayenne pepper
- 3 or 4 ears of corn, shaved, about 3 cups kernels (be sure to get organic to ensure that it is not genetically modified)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced zucchini, either the scooped zucchini flesh or a new zucchini so green skin will show in filling
- 2 jalapeno or serrano chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 3/4 cup of your favorite vegan, gluten free cheese alternative
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a medium-size skillet. Add the onion, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and a few pinches of cayenne. Saute over medium heat until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes, then add the corn, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Saute until the corn is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and saute for 2 more minutes, until just tender. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl. Toss the chilies, cilantro, marjoram, and cheese with the filling. Season to taste with salt and cayenne.
Mound the filling into the zucchini, place in a lightly oiled baking dish, cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Note: We sometimes include Amazon links which provide us a bit of revenue and they don't affect your Amazon prices at all - this helps us keep the HGFV site free for everyone!