This delightfully bright gluten-free vegan lemon rice pilaf is the perfect summer addition to your meals. Add some grated lemon rind at the finish for an extra lemon flavor – this dish is amazing with grilled vegetables and tahini or vegan stuffed grape leaves. Pine nuts and sliced almonds are great toppings to provide a little crunch and Middle Eastern flavor. You can find pine nuts or pignoles in specialty stores, the nut aisle, or the deli area. Traditional pilaf does have orzo or vermicelli, both of which are not gluten-free – but with the herbs and nuts, you’ll hardly miss it! If you want to add even more texture, try a mix of half brown and white rice.
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup onion, chopped
2 cups long grain rice
1 ¾ cups vegetable broth
¼ -⅓ cup lemon juice
1 teas Himalayan or mineral salt
Fresh parsley, chopped, optional
Pine nuts or sliced almonds, optional
|Don't you just hate it when you are looking for a recipe, and you have to scroll through dozens of pages before you get to the recipe way down at the bottom of the page?
That's because they are trying to make money off you and Google requires it. We don't care - we're here to share recipes with you, and will never make you scroll through several pages only to get to what you want - the recipe. That said, it does cost us money to run the site, so if you like something you found here, please consider donating to support The Happy Gluten Free Vegan!
– Using the Sauté feature on the Instant Pot, add olive oil and saute the garlic and onions until the garlic begins to turn a golden brown and onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
– Add rice and continue stirring until rice is coated in the butter mixture and begins to turn clear.
– Add vegetable broth, lemon juice, and salt, and stir it until mixed.
– Place the lid on, seal and lock. Use the “Rice” setting, or set it manually, on High Pressure for 12 minutes.
– After the Instant Pot beeps, allow to naturally release the pressure.
– After 10 minutes, do a quick release and open the lid.
– Stir in the fresh parsley, and top with more lemon juice and rind as desired
Add pine nuts or almonds on top and serve!
This pilaf is a crowd-pleaser and easy to double. Have some leftover? Add a little extra water and reheat to make lemon rice soup!
Note: We sometimes include Amazon links which provide us a bit of revenue and they don't affect your Amazon prices at all - this helps us keep the HGFV site free for everyone!