This Instant Pot Gluten Free Vegan Millet and Black Bean Soup is hearty and full of delicious protein. Millet is a seed that is high in fiber, magnesium, zinc, and B vitamins, similar to quinoa. By using dried beans, this entire recipe is nutrient dense while being economically savvy. The black beans makes this soup satisfying and filling, and it reminds you of a chili. Heat from the spices gives it a yummy kick, while the corn adds a touch of sweetness.
1 tbs olive oil
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 head of garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 tbs chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
2 cups black beans (soaked for at least 3 hours)
1 cup millet (uncooked)
1 cup sweet corn kernels (fresh or frozen) (optional)
2 cups fire roasted diced tomatoes
7 cups vegetable stock (or water)
1 cup fresh mixed greens (optional)
Himalayan salt, to taste
– Soak dried black beans for at least three hours prior to making the soup.
– Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Stir in oil, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
– Stir in spices – chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder. Sauté for 1 minute longer.
– Stir in black beans, millet, and corn. Sauté for 1 minute longer while stirring constantly.
– Turn off sauté mode, stir in tomatoes & vegetable stock.
– Close and lock the lid, and cook on Manual High Pressure for 35 minutes.
– After the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release.
– Stir in greens, if desired. Salt to taste.
Serve immediately or place in Keep Warm mode until ready to serve. This recipe stays well in the refrigerator and the flavors meld together as time goes on. Top with avocado, cilantro, parsley, or other fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Note: We sometimes include Amazon links which provide us a bit of revenue and they don't affect your Amazon prices at all - this helps us keep the HGFV site free for everyone!