This Instant Pot Gluten-free Vegan Spicy Beans and Rice is so easy to throw together on busy weekday nights, and it’s likely you have all the ingredients on hand right now. This is a filling and hearty recipe packed with fiber and delicious spices. The tomato paste and the salsa together really make a good flavor pair to make the rice extra tomato-y. Feel free to substitute a milder or spicier salsa depending on your preferences. Top with fresh herbs like basil, cilantro, or parsley. Chopped green onions also make a great garnish!
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 ¼ cup dry Red Kidney Beans
1 ½ cup dry Brown Rice
¼ cup Tomato Paste
1 cup spicy Salsa
3 cups Vegetable Broth
2 cups Water
Himalayan salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
– Set Instant Pot on Sauté and put in olive oil, minced garlic, and chopped onions. Cook until golden brown and aromatic, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot.
– Add in the dried beans and rice to the Instant Pot. Pour the vegetable broth and water over the rice and beans, add in the tomato paste and salsa. Stir gently until incorporated.
– Close and lock the Instant Pot lid, and set on Manual mode High pressure for 25 Minutes.
– Once the Instant Pot beeps, let naturally release pressure for 10 Minutes.
– Release all remaining pressure with a quick release, and serve the dish warm with salt and pepper to taste.
You can substitute the black beans for red, kidney, or pinto beans, or even a mix! The pressure time might need to be extended depending on the size of the beans used. This dish tastes great in taco shells and alongside steamed vegetables.
Note: We sometimes include Amazon links which provide us a bit of revenue and they don't affect your Amazon prices at all - this helps us keep the HGFV site free for everyone!