We are closing out kid’s week here at the Happy Gluten Free Vegan, and we decided to devote today’s post to drinks! Delicious beverages are a great way to give your child a treat outside of water, juice and soy milk. Treating them does not have to mean filling up on sugar and high fructose corn syrup-laden sodas and fruit beverages! Even so-called juices contain surprising ingredients. Next time you are at the supermarket, take a moment to look at the labels on juice bottles; some of the juices that call themselves “natural” are still full of sugar. They often try to make it sound nicer by calling it “pure cane sugar”, but a rose by any other name is still a rose! We took to Whole Eating Cookbook: Delicious Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Low-Glycemic Recipes with Bonus Nutrition Tips by Elizabeth Rider for some delicious and nutritious beverage recipes!
Cranberry Vanilla Italian Soda
- 16 ounces club soda or sparkling water
- 4 ounces unsweetened cranberry juice
- 2 ounces unsweetened almond milk
- 8-10 drops of vanilla flavored stevia
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher over ice, stir and serve immediately
|Don't you just hate being bombarded with videos and ads before you get to the recipe?
We don't do that, we're here to share recipes with you, and will never put you through an ad gauntlet. That said, it does cost us money to run the site, so if you like something you found here, please consider throwing us a dollar or two to support us!
Orange Pomegranate Sparkler
- 12 ounces club soda or sparkling water
- 6 ounces unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 8-10 drops of plain liquid stevia
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher over ice, stir and serve immediately.
Healthylicious Hot Chocolate
- 24 ounces of your favorite milk alternative, unsweetened
- 2 1/2 tablespoons organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon raw agave nectar syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 drops liquid stevia
Warm the milk on the stove over medium heat until hot but not boiling (about 5 minutes). Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine. Heat another 1-2 minutes and serve immediately.
If you are in a pinch, or have little time, remember that you can’t go wrong with “homemade soda” – sparkling water, pure fruit juice and a pinch of stevia. Sure to make your children smile!
Our new Happy Gluten-Free Vegan cookbook contains 50 of our favorite recipes!
Check it out here, or download it now!: