We are closing out kid’s week here at the Happy Gluten Free Vegan, and we decided to devote today’s post to drinks! Delicious beverages are a great way to give your child a treat outside of water, juice and soy milk. Treating them does not have to mean filling up on sugar and high fructose corn syrup-laden sodas and fruit beverages! Even so-called juices contain surprising ingredients. Next time you are at the supermarket, take a moment to look at the labels on juice bottles; some of the juices that call themselves “natural” are still full of sugar. They often try to make it sound nicer by calling it “pure cane sugar”, but a rose by any other name is still a rose! We took to Whole Eating Cookbook: Delicious Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Low-Glycemic Recipes with Bonus Nutrition Tips by Elizabeth Rider for some delicious and nutritious beverage recipes!
Cranberry Vanilla Italian Soda
- 16 ounces club soda or sparkling water
- 4 ounces unsweetened cranberry juice
- 2 ounces unsweetened almond milk
- 8-10 drops of vanilla flavored stevia
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher over ice, stir and serve immediately
Orange Pomegranate Sparkler
- 12 ounces club soda or sparkling water
- 6 ounces unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 8-10 drops of plain liquid stevia
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher over ice, stir and serve immediately.
Healthylicious Hot Chocolate
- 24 ounces of your favorite milk alternative, unsweetened
- 2 1/2 tablespoons organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon raw agave nectar syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 drops liquid stevia
Warm the milk on the stove over medium heat until hot but not boiling (about 5 minutes). Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine. Heat another 1-2 minutes and serve immediately.
The Happy Gluten-Free Vegan is always free, always reader-supported. Your tips via CashApp, Venmo, or Paypal are appreciated. Receipts will come from ISIPP.
If you are in a pinch, or have little time, remember that you can’t go wrong with “homemade soda” – sparkling water, pure fruit juice and a pinch of stevia. Sure to make your children smile!
Note: Some Amazon links on this site earn us a small commission. But it's really tiny. Seriously. Like less than $9 a month.