It is day two of our celebration of both National Celiac Awareness Month and Cinco de Mayo week! To keep the celebration going we are featuring delicious vegan, gluten-free tempeh soft tacos with lime crema from Vegan Celebrations. We are huge fans of lime crema, so gleefully made this dish solely thinking about the lime crema. The recipe calls for soy yogurt, but we prefer almond yogurt and used that instead. We also snuck in a little extra lime because we are huge lime fans. The lime crema offsets the spicy chipotle pepper in adobo sauce beautifully, and the delicious garlic adds an extra layer to the flavor bouquet. This is sure to leave dinner guests begging for more!
Soft Tempeh Tacos with Lime Crema
MAKES 10 TACOS
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt (or almond or coconut — whatever your favorite plain yogurt alternative is)
- Juice of 1 large lime
TEMPEH SOFT TACOS
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ small white onion, sliced thin
- ½ bell pepper, any color, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- One 8-ounce package tempeh, any variety, sliced thin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite vegan, gluten-free taco seasoning (we like Spicely vegan, gluten-free taco seasoning)
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 10 corn tortillas (make sure they are organic so as to be sure that they are not GMO)
TO MAKE THE LIME CREMA:
Whisk together the yogurt and lime juice in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the tacos.
TO MAKE THE TACOS:
Warm 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and the tempeh and sauté for 5 minutes or until the tempeh is lightly browned on both sides. Stir in the chipotle, oregano, taco seasoning, and stock and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Warm the tortillas, 3 at a time, in the microwave for 30 seconds*. Fill with the tempeh mixture, then top with Lime Crema. Repeat until all the tortillas and tempeh are used.
*If you prefer to not use the microwave to to warm your tortillas, simply preheat the oven to 250 degrees, wrap a damp dishtowel around a stack of tortillas, place them in a baking dish and cover. Warm in oven for 20 minutes.
Pair this delicious dish with your favorite vegan, gluten-free beer for a filling and refreshing dinner!
Get our instant download Happy Gluten-Free Vegan cookbook!
50 of our favorite recipes for only $7.99
Check it out here, or download it now!: