With yesterday’s recipe on vegan, gluten-free ginger ale, we thought we needed a light little snack to go with it! Even if you don’t drink ginger ale, this is a great, refreshing dish that works as readily as a dessert, an appetizer, or a side, and it’s wonderful for a summer picnic or barbecue. And it’s vegan AIP friendly to boot!
This beautiful dish is rich with berries and sweetness, cut with a slight tart flavor. Now that we are headed into summer, farmers markets and other organic markets are brimming with beautiful vibrant berries at the peak of perfect flavor. This dish is served cold from the refrigerator and so is perfect on a hot day for a refreshing treat.
This dish is from one of our favorite recipe books, Raw for Dessert by Jennifer Cornbleet
Summer Berry Compote
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (4 ounces) fresh blueberries
- ½ cup (4 ounces) fresh raspberries
- ½ cup (4 ounces) fresh blackberries or additional raspberries
- 2 tablespoons light agave syrup or maple syrup (use maple syrup to make this vegan AIP compliant)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
Place all of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and toss gently to combine. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before serving. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Summer Berry Compote will keep for 24 hours.
For an extra special treat, top this dish with some decadent gluten-free, vegan coconut whipped cream.
Get our instant download Happy Gluten-Free Vegan cookbook!
50 of our favorite recipes for only $7.99
Check it out here, or download it now!: