Note: The Happy Gluten-Free Vegan has recently done away with all Google ads. Instead we have created beneficial partnerships with upstanding companies that we believe bring value to our readers. Visiting our partners helps keep the Happy Gluten-Free Vegan free for everybody. 🙂
Raw for Dessert is a delicious gathering of some of the most decadent vegan and gluten free desserts you can imagine. Sticking with the idea that raw food is healthier, book author Jennifer Cornbleet has assembled an array of vegan and gluten free treats that will not only make your mouth water, they will prove to be much healthier than traditional fare.
The idea of raw food has been around for quite some time, but has gained popularity with the raw food movement which has kickstarted in the last few years. Usually vegan-based, raw food diets consist of unprocessed, raw plant foods that have not been heated above 104 °F. Many raw foodists believe that if the food is cooked at higher temperatures, they will lose their nutritional value to the heat and won’t be as beneficial.
the BEST vegan, gluten-free protein bars!
(Read about Anne's hospital stay)
Cornbleet’s book is formatted to be as user-friendly as possible and will help raw food novices to find their footing. She starts with a guide to the essentials needed for preparing raw desserts. She gives an in-depth guide to ingredients you should have handy, as well as equipment, serving ware, and even delves into techniques and knife skills.
The dessert chapters are broken down as follows:
- Fruit desserts — including apple compote with golden raisins and pistachios, summer fruit trifle, caramel apple stacks, apple-pear crumble, and banana-crumble.
- Sorbets, ice creams and sundaes — including bitter chocolate sorbet, concord grape sorbet, grapefruit granita, brazil nut-vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream, knockout brownie sundae and turtle sundae.
- Cakes, cookies and bars — including chocolate cupcakes, chocolate cake with fudge frosting, chocolate lava cake, ginger spice cookies and one-bowl brownies.
- Pies and tarts — including lemon tart, coconut cream pie with chocolate cookie crust, chocolate cream pie, cherry custard tart with sliced almonds and pumpkin pie.
- Creamy desserts — including vanilla bean creme brulee, chocolate pots de creme, milk chocolate pudding and key lime pots de creme
- Candy – dark chocolate truffles, carob-cashew freezer fudge, chocolate candy cups, greek dates and chocolate-stuffed dates.
The desserts in this book sound nothing short of delectable, and she makes sure that each ingredient and technique are explicitly explained so as to not overwhelm those who are new to raw food preparation. The only thing I’d count as a mark against her is including not one, but three recipes for ambrosia; a dish I think most of us can agree should remain in the 1960s. For more information and purchase options for the Raw for Dessert book, you can check out Raw for Dessert here on Amazon
Get our instant download Happy Gluten-Free Vegan cookbook!
50 of our favorite recipes for only $7.99
Check it out here, or download it now!:
Like this recipe? Show your appreciation for this free resource and help support us!