The following recipe is contributed by Chef Andrea Young, founder of Sweet Vegan in New York City. We have had Sweet Vegan’s chocolates, and we’re here to tell you that they are amazing! And if you aren’t in or near New York City, you can order them online and they will ship them to you!
And while you are waiting for those yummy vegan chocolates to arrive, make Chef Andrea’s vegan, gluten-free brownies! Says Chef Andrea, “Although we think that Sweet Vegan chocolates are the best dessert when it comes to gluten-free noshing, sometimes you want something hot and fresh from the oven. That’s why Sweet Vegan has made this gluten-free, vegan recipe for black bean brownies that are sure to be a hit with everyone! This is the go to when you need a delicious chocolate treat without the labor intensity of making vegan truffles at home. And, you can use Sweet Vegan Dreamy Bites in our four exotic flavors (Energizing Espresso, Luscious Lemon, Midnight Passion, or Spicy Ginger) to spice up your brownies. And just like our truffles, this recipe is vegan and free of gluten, soy, dairy, and nuts (unless you add the optional pecans). Try out our Brownie Bonanza!
Sweet Vegan’s Gluten-Free, Vegan Brownie Bonanza!
You will need:
– A food processor or high speed blender
– An 8×8″ brownie pan or a cupcake pan
– 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (you can use the aquafaba – i.e. the liquid from the can of beans – for your egg replacer, or save it in a Tupperware or ice cube tray to make whipped cream or meringue!)
– 3 tablespoons coconut oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
– 3/4 cup cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 egg replacer (Chef Andrea uses a flax egg)*
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 3/4 cup coconut sugar**
– 1/2 cup toasted pecans, halved or in pieces, or Sweet Vegan truffles, crumbled (optional)
*To make a flax egg, combine 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed and ½ cup water, and let sit for 10 minutes until it starts to form a jelly. If you can’t find flaxseeds or flaxseed meal, you can use ½ cup of the reserved juice from your can of black beans. Just refrigerate (or stick in the freezer, but don’t forget about it!) to cool it down and then whisk it for 3 to 4 minutes until foamy. If you don’t feel like getting on the aquafaba train just yet, you can also use fruit puree. For example 1/4 cup applesauce or 1/2 of a small banana, mashed (if you don’t mind the flavor in your brownies), can replace one egg – though if you use either of these fruit purees be sure to bake your brownies 25 degrees lower and keep an eye on them.
**We recommend using coconut sugar just like we do in our Sweet Vegan truffles, as it has a lower glycemic index. This leads to a more stable blood sugar level, and it has more nutrients than regular table sugar, such as iron, zinc, calcium and potassium, as well as various antioxidants.
– Make your egg replacer and set aside.
– Put ungreased pan inside oven and preheat to 350 degrees. If making brownie bites, do not put cupcake liners in yet.
– Combine all ingredients except for the optional pecans into the food processor or blender, including the egg replacer. Blend until smooth (about two minutes). You may need to scrape down the sides to make sure all the ingredients are completely combined.
– Remove pan from the oven. If you’re making pan brownies, grease with coconut oil and pour the batter in. If you’re making cupcake brownies, grease or line the cupcake pan and fill each tin 1/2 full.
-Top with toasted pecans (see below) or crushed Sweet Vegan truffles (optional).
-Bake 25-30 minutes. Times may vary depending on what egg replacer you use and if you made pan brownies or cupcake brownies, so look out to see if the brownies are pulling away from the sides of pan, that will indicate they’re done.
-Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and serve!
To make Toasted Pecans:
– Preheat a skillet on high, turning it down to medium just before adding 1 tablespoon coconut oil and your pecans.
– Continually stir pecans with a wooden spoon
– Remove from heat once they start to turn a little darker. You’ll know when they’re done when they smell fragrant and toasted.
-Cool on paper towels, and crush up more to desired consistency if needed.
Get our instant download Happy Gluten-Free Vegan cookbook!
50 of our favorite recipes for only $7.99
Check it out here, or download it now!: