We are nuts for aioli, but it is woefully *not* vegan. The main staple of aioli is egg yolk and, without it, you don’t get that deliciously whipped consistency for which aioli is known. Well we have you covered! This unbelievable aioli recipe will have you singing out loud. It is pure deliciousness and we have to confess that we have been eating it with everything. Our favorite way to enjoy this aioli is with oven-baked home fries, but you can also use this as a dip for veggies and sweet potato fries. We recently found this recipe for vegan egg yolks on the Better Batter Flour (whose flour we will soon be reviewing) website, and it is meant for recipes that specifically call for egg yolks, like aioli! Note that this will only work as a substitute for egg yolks, not the whites as well.
This recipe makes the equivalent of 8 egg yolks and can be stored in the fridge, sealed tightly, for up to a month.
The Only Vegan, Gluten-Free Aioli Recipe You’ll Ever Need
Vegan, Gluten Free Egg Yolks
Yield: The equivalent of 8 egg yolks
- 1 c Better Batter Gluten Free Flour, or whichever gluten free all-purpose flour you prefer
- 2 c water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp – 1/4 c neutral vegetable oil (may vary)
In a blender, combine Better Batter flour, water, and salt. Blend until thickened.
Place into a double boiler or microwave safe bowl and proceed as below.
- Double Boiler: heat over medium to medium high heat, whisking constantly, until substantially thickened (like school paste). Remove from heat and proceed as below
- Microwave: heat for 2 minutes, removing from microwave to whisk thoroughly. Repeat up to 3 times. Proceed as below.
Whisk in 2 tbsp of oil. Add enough extra oil to make the consistency of the mixture like beaten egg yolks – this mixture should be smooth, thick, and easily stirred.
2 tablespoons of vegan, gluten free egg yolk mixture is the equivalent of one egg yolk.
Vegan, Gluten-Free Aioli
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons vegan, gluten-free egg yolk alternative
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Dijon
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley
Combine garlic, vegan yolk substitute, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and garlic is thoroughly chopped. Slowly pour the oil into the running processor or blender and continue to blend until creamy. Fold in the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
If the aioli is too thin, add a bit more vegan egg yolk alternative and dijon mustard, if it is too thick, add a little water to thin it. This is such a delicious recipe that you may just want to keep an extra batch handy for a quick snack!