With this week being kid’s week here at the Happy Gluten-Free Vegan, we are gathering all of our favorite recipes for kids who are vegan and gluten-free. We realized that one of the key foods that kids love is grilled cheese! And we cannot blame them, it is one of our favorite comfort foods! Sadly, the reason that gluten free, vegan kids can’t have this dish is because literally every ingredient doesn’t agree with this type of diet! Well, we found a delicious alternative from our favorite go-to recipe book for vegan, gluten free comfort food, appropriately named, Susan O’Brien’s Gluten-Free Vegan Comfort Food. With a little extra twist of sauteed onions and avocado, this dish does not disappoint, and we think your tots will agree!
Vegan, Gluten-Free Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon olive oil spread
- 4 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread, we favor Udi’s.
- 2 tablespoons hickory-favored WayFare vegan cheese or Daiya Dairy Free Cheddar Style Shreds, or your favorite cheese alternative
- 1 cup grilled or sauteed onions (saute onions in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft and lightly browned)
- 1/2 cup avocado, pitted and sliced think
- Tomatoes, sprouts, or your favorite garnish
1. Lightly spread some olive oil spread (such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread) on both sides of each piece of bread. On one side of the bread, spread 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Top the cheese with the avocado and onions (sprouts, too, if desired) and then sandwich the two breads together. Do this for both sandwiches.
2. Heat a skillet to medium heat and then add a small amount of olive oil spread (1/2 tablespoon) and let it heat up. When it is hot, add the sandwiches and grill until done on both sides. About 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Pair with some carrot sticks and delicious vegan, gluten-free ranch dipping sauce!