One thing we missed sorely as vegan and gluten free eaters is stroganoff. While we don’t so much miss beef stroganoff, we absolutely love mushroom stroganoff. This is no easy feat to achieve when you are vegan AND gluten free. Well we fell head over heels in love with this recipe from Lux Hippie. We modified it slightly by substituting our beloved shirataki noodles for the rice noodles, and instead of seitan we used browned mushrooms. Nonetheless, it came out absolutely delicious and we can’t wait to hear back from those of you who make it!
Tip: If you like your stroganoff to have a little extra tang, you can also squeeze a little lemon into the sauce to step it up a bit.
Vegan and Gluten Free Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 bag of shirataki noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (I used earth balance)
- 8-10 oz of sliced mushrooms (we love cremini)
- ½ yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups fresh kale
- 2 + 2 tablespoons veggie broth
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons dijon mustard (make sure it is gluten free!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Parboil shirataki noodles according to directions on package. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Once butter is melted, add mushrooms, onion, paprika and salt; let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons of the veggie broth and the kale, stirring constantly until the kale is fully reduced.
- Reduce to low heat and add vegan sour cream, dijon mustard, garlic powder, nutritional yeast and thyme. Mix thoroughly, if the sauce is too thick you can add the remaining 2 tablepoons of veggie broth (or more to your liking).
- Remove from heat, add pasta to the sauce and mix well. Serve immediately.
Note: We sometimes include Amazon links which provide us a bit of revenue and they don't affect your Amazon prices at all - this helps us keep the HGFV site free for everyone!