Our mouths were watering when we read this delicious recipe for vegan, gluten free sloppy joes in this month’s edition of Veg News. Sloppy Joes are such a fun dish and remind us of childhood! Whether you prefer to eat these wrapped in lettuce, or with your favorite gluten free bread or hamburger buns, this yummy recipe is sure to bring back fond memories of summertime!
Vegan, Gluten Free Sloppy Joes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cooked French green lentils
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes or chunky tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Heat the olive oil, mushrooms, onions and celery over medium heat in a large skillet. After sauteeing for 8 minutes, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. From there, carefully fold in the tomatoes or tomato sauce, lentils, tamari, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, cinnamon and chipotle powder. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For some added decadence, melt a little bit of your favorite vegan cheese on top before serving!
Note: We sometimes include Amazon links which provide us a bit of revenue and they don't affect your Amazon prices at all - this helps us keep the HGFV site free for everyone!