Sloppy Joes are such a fun dish and remind us of childhood! Whether you prefer to eat these wrapped in lettuce, or with your favorite gluten free bread or hamburger buns, this yummy recipe is sure to bring back fond memories of summertime!
This is our take on a recipe published long ago in Veg News.
Vegan, Gluten Free Sloppy Joes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cooked French green lentils
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes or chunky tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Heat the olive oil, mushrooms, onions and celery over medium heat in a large skillet. After sauteeing for 8 minutes, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. From there, carefully fold in the tomatoes or tomato sauce, lentils, tamari, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, cinnamon and chipotle powder. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve on/over your favorite gluten-free, vegan hamburger buns; we have found that soft, vegan and gluten-free bagels work really well too (where we are there is a brand called Outside the Bread Box).
For some added decadence, melt a little bit of your favorite vegan cheese on top before serving!
Get our instant download Happy Gluten-Free Vegan cookbook!
50 of our favorite recipes for only $7.99
Check it out here, or download it now!: