If we haven’t mentioned it enough, we are beyond excited about our discovery of marshmallow root. After what seemed like a month (which was in actuality about 5 days), our marshmallow root has finally arrived. Needless to say, this weekend is now reserved for cooking up everything “marshmallow root” that we can think of.
Sap from the marshmallow plant is the original ingredient in old-fashioned marshmallows, but it soon gave way to gelatin as a cheaper ingredient. The great thing about marshmallow root, though, is all of its purported medicinal uses. Just to name a few of its benefits:
- It soothes irritated tissue and relieves various forms of inflammation.
- It alleviates coughs and laryngitis.
- Because it contains salicylic acid (the active ingredient in aspirin), it is used to relieve headaches.
- It contains protective layer-forming polysaccharides, so it is great for soothing the gut, and is used to relieve ulcers, Crohn’s disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and colitis.
- It is a diuretic and is commonly used to help with kidney function, calm the urinary tract and offer relief to those who suffer from bladder infections.
- Because it is highly viscous, it is excellent in use topically for relieving dry skin, diaper rash, sunburns, eczema, psoriasis and other dermatitis issues.
What doesn’t it do? Well we cannot wait to get cooking and experimenting with it. In the meantime, we wanted to give you a sneak-peak at one of the first recipes we will be trying, straight from the Sketch-Free Vegan Eating blog, toasted coconut banana marshmallow tartufo. We cannot wait to give this a try!
- 2 bananas (frozen and sliced)
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp brown rice protein powder (I used vanilla flavoured)
- 1 tbsp marshmallow root powder
- 1 cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut flakes, toasted
*To toast the coconut, just put coconut shreds in a frying pan over medium heat and stir constantly until it turns a golden colour.*
The Happy Gluten-Free Vegan is always free, always reader-supported. Your tips via CashApp, Venmo, or Paypal are appreciated. Receipts will come from ISIPP.
Blend the bananas and coconut milk in a food processor. Stir in protein powder and marshmallow root powder, place in a container and freeze for about 1 hour. Remove from the freezer and stir up. You’ll notice that it has become thicker. Scoop out ice cream with a spoon and use another spoon to smooth it out. (You could also use one of those nifty ice cream scoopers that scrapes the spoon for you). Slip ice cream ball into the toasted coconut and coat evenly. Repeat until all ice cream has been rolled in coconut. Freeze for another 2 hours. Makes about 8
Note: Some Amazon links on this site earn us a small commission. But it's really tiny. Seriously. Like less than $9 a month.